Monday, May 20, 2013

Bonus

Their wide eyes and hopeful stares remind of deer eating corn from my feeder: giddy with ignorance. At least the deer has an excuse; it can't read, it can't recognize that free meals are an illusion, deer are naturally stupid. Man made his choice.

Their bright, stupid faces don't even see the snare being slid under their noses.

"Sign here," I say, "and initial here."

They're so eager for that glimmer of the American Dream they don't realize I've already got them lined up in my cross hairs. They smile, hug, thank me, even cry tears of joy for what I'm about to do. They won't even realize it until I've taken everything: every possession, every dime, every second of hard work they ever put towards and into their bottomless pit, into their mortgage.

"Congratulations, you two. You're now proud American homeowners."

They extend their hands towards me. Gotcha.

No comments:

Post a Comment